Philadelphia Intellectual Disability Services AAC Consultations
A program for consumers of Philadelphia Intellectual Disability Services
Due to the high demand, we ask for patience in getting back to you.
Virtual AAC Consultations
This is a program for consumers of Philadelphia Intellectual Disability Services to receive communication and augmentative-alternative communication (AAC) services. Consumers and their teams will participate in a communication evaluation with a licensed speech-language pathologist.
- Are at least 21 years of age
- Have complex communication needs
- Receive their waiver services through Philadelphia Intellectual Disability Services (the joinder/county of registration on the person’s ISP must be Philadelphia
Recommendations from the evaluation can include:
- Strategies to support successful and functional communication
- Selection of communication devices (from light tech to high-tech, including but not limited to speech-generating devices)
- Assistance with acquiring AAC devices
- Informal referral for direct speech-language therapy
After the initial intake evaluation, consumers may receive some additional services as needed. These services can include:
- Team training on the recommended communication strategies
- Writing an insurance report for a speech-generating device (if necessary)
- Support with setup and/or customizing a communication device
- Troubleshooting communication strategies and AAC devices
- Follow-up as recommended and appropriate
Contact Hali Strickler at email@example.com for the referral form and next steps.
This opportunity is not ongoing speech therapy or communication specialist services.
The SLPs who provide these services are on staff at TechOWL at the Institute on Disabilities at Temple University.